+65 6728 9142 Phone

Personal Tax FAQs

What is the Personal tax regime in Singapore?

The tax regime is different for resident and non-resident individuals. For resident individuals, the tax rate is progressive. It starts from 0% and ends at 20% for income above S$320,000. For non-residents, the tax rate is flat 15% or the progressive tax rate, whichever leads to higher tax amount.

What is the last date for filing personal income tax?

The tax year of Singapore is from January 1 to December 31 and the due date for the filing income tax returns is April 15 of each year.

I am a non-resident who has resided in Singapore for less than 183 days, will I get taxed?

If you have stayed for 60 days or less in a year, you will be exempted from paying taxes. However, this will not be applicable if you are a director of a company, a public entertainer, or exercising a profession in Singapore. Professionals include foreign experts, foreign speakers, queen’s counsels, consultants, trainers, coaches etc. If you are in Singapore for 61-182 days in a year, you will be taxed on all income earned in Singapore. You may claim expenses and donations to save tax. However, you will not be eligible to claim personal reliefs. Your employment income will get taxed at 15% or the progressive resident rate, whichever gives rise to a higher tax amount.

If my salary is below S$22,000, should I not file my tax returns?

Even if your salary is below S$22,000, you are not bound to file your returns, but still you have to mention zero income in your tax form and submit it by 15 April. You will get subjected to penalties for filing late or not filing at all.

Which are the forms available for filing taxes?

The forms available for filing taxes are as under –
1. For tax resident individuals – Form B1
2. For self-employed – Form B
3. For non-resident individuals – Form M

I amount mentioned on my tax bill received from IRAS is wrong, what should I do?

If you disagree with your tax amount, you need to inform tax department within 30 days from the date of your tax bill and state your reasons for objection. You need to pay the full amount of tax within 30 days of receiving your Notice of Assessment. This is regardless of whether you have informed tax authority about your objection. If your tax remains outstanding after 30 days, a penalty will be imposed.

I am a resident director of a Singapore company, will I be taxed differently?

No, there is no difference in taxation rates between a director and any other employee. Your income will also be taxed at the same progressive tax rate system. However, if the director is non-resident, then he/she will be taxed at a rate of 20%.

Am I eligible for contributing to CPF on an employment pass?

No, you or your employer, both, is not eligible for contributing to CPF when you are working in Singapore on an employment pass. CPF contributions are not allowed for foreigners. Any attempt made by the employee on employment pass, professional visit pass or work permit, to contribute to CPF will be rejected.

I am being paid for my dividend from a Singapore company, will I be taxed?

If the dividend income falls under any of the following conditions, you will not be taxed on it.
• If the dividends are paid to its shareholders, from Singapore companies
• Foreign dividends received in Singapore. However, foreign source income received through partnerships in Singapore is excluded
• If your foreign source income distributions comes from unit trusts and real estate investment trusts (REIT) that are authorized under Section 286 of the Securities and Futures Act.
Feedback Form

I am interested in :

Company RegistrationTaxation ServicesAccounting ServicesCorporate SecretarialPayroll ServicesAuditing ServicesBookkeeping ServicesVisas and Passes Services